Monday, February 14, 2005

India has fallen in love with Valentine's Day
Hindu Hard-Liners Burn Valentine's Day Cards

Like I said, contradictions abound :) Actually, I was surprised to see Valentine's Day so well-adopted here. All of the local papers had huge Vday sections... all of this for what was/is a Catholic holiday from the third century. And I was surprised to see Google's decision to publish its Vday logo across *all* countries. Being an economist by training, I'm all for globalization... but as I mentioned in an earlier post, it's sometimes disheartening to see such cultural normalization. But with 1.1B people, India is apparently one of the most "loving" countries around - perhaps the Valentine's Day adoption is perfectly appropriate. ;-)

Speaking of holidays, I believe India has six more time-off holiday days than the US... all of which fall outside of my time here. Bummer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home