Friday, March 04, 2005

So many things about this place will make you re-assess what you've heretofore perceived as normal... one eye-opener that has continued to surprise me is how comfortable men and boys are with their other male friends. It's nothing to see two grown men holding hands walking down the street, and teenage boys can often be seen with arms around necks, waists, or just walking together in really tight groups. Note that this is *completely* platonic and shouldn't be given a second thought. You would think that someone who's lived in San Francisco for the last five years wouldn't even be phased, but truthfully, I'm still working on it...

In particular, my trainer (hate that word... how about "the guy I pay to workout with me?") at the gym here frequently insists on taking me by the hand as he leads me from machine to machine. Now you have to believe me that this guy is the straightest arrow imaginable. He's 22, about a foot shorter than me, and he's a damn good spotter. But he does insist on straddling me and sitting on my stomach when I'm doing dumbell flys because it helps keep my form in line and makes it easier for him to help with those last few reps. No one else in the gym gives us a second glance, so I just roll with it.

I wonder if any of this has evolved because, traditionally, men aren't supposed to touch women in public... so this would fill that need for physical contact. Though nowadays, you'll see young couples holding hands at the movies and such. In any case, I'm really impressed with the lack of stigma around this -- let's hear it for brotherly love! Seriously -- at the very least, why should I be given to any awkwardness when hugging male friends hello/goodbye? As for holding hands, well... baby steps, people! :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can always hold my hand baby :)

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home