Saturday, March 19, 2005

While resting between sets the other day, 'the guy I pay to workout with me' asked me to tell him a joke. Now, I'm not really the type to have a lot of jokes at the ready, so what do I do? I throw an old one from my dad at him:

Me: See, there were these two men going down the street, right?
Venky: Yeah, okay.
Me: One guy walked into a bar. The other one ducked.
Venky: [blank stare]

Nuance is almost always lost in translation, and that doesn't bode well for a sense of humor like mine. I realized long ago that this was the reason I could never happily date someone whose English wasn't native... there's too much involved in the intonation, delivery, and slight-of-humor that I enjoy in conversation. Especially in romance, it's important for me to find that someone with whom the laughs flow naturally in everyday discourse without having to pause for effect or secretly hope the other person isn't just laughing along... that someone who is not only witty in herself, but is the cause that is wit in other people.*

With a bit of a charade and my use of the squat bar as a prop, however, Venky was soon
(genuinely) chuckling along. I tried to think of other trusty old standbys - blonde jokes, knock knock jokes - but they all failed me in their inability to span cultures. Perhaps I should've just stuck with the world's funniest joke.

* paraphrase of Shakespeare's King Henry IV part ii, where Falstaff quotes, "I am not only witty in myself, but the cause that wit is in other men."

1 Comments:

Anonymous cheap nhl jerseysr said...

Require pride with your china nhl jerseys achievements, when they tend to be stepping gemstones for your aspirations. Realize that you can help make nhl jerseys from china mistakes, nevertheless don't make it possible for these discourage people. Value a person's skills and also skillsets for there're just what exactly cause you to be definitely different. This kind of china nhl jerseys products around your life aren't bought, but obtained by efforts plus willpower.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home