Thursday, April 28, 2005

I went to get my haircut yesterday. I may be inviting the ridicule of my friends, but this was a big deal for me, as I'm super picky about my hair. (Yes, I really do get my gel imported from Japan.) Anyway, I had a recommendation to go see the "stylish Burmese guy" at this salon called Spratt. So I called them up and wanted to see when I could make an appointment... "Pick anytime tomorrow," the receptionist said. Hmmm... ordinarily, I would be skeptical of any salon whose schedule seemed so empty, but I took the first morning slot anyway.

I showed up and was pretty impressed with the salon. I met Thundu, who turned out actually to be a Tibetan refugee, not Burmese. He also turned out to be a great hairstylist, and he was excited to cut my hair because he got to practice texturizing instead of the regular "formal cut" that he said all of the men usually requested. He lamented the fact that Bollywood stars were finally getting cool haircuts while the Kannadan film stars still only wanted "the poof." The reason this was troubling is because the film stars pave the fashion path for the population, and until they start getting more stylish, he'll be stuck doing the same old hairstyles.

After finishing, he recommended a spray wax, which I purchased. The total? 850 rupees. That's 550 for the wax and 300 for the cut. Only 300 bucks ($7) for a 45 minute haircut at Bangalore's best salon?! Wow.

Of course, the engineers back at the office almost laughed me out of the lunchroom, saying that they rarely paid more than 25 rupees ($.50!) for a haircut. But I figure you get what you pay for... here's the before and the after. :-)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the "after" you ;)

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look awesome like a movie star! What would sonia say?

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was worse than that bad bleaching incident... ;)

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bad. I think you need to install some hardware maybe through your eyebrow or something to update the look just a bit.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah....may be you'll start getting offers from the Indiam film industry ;)

10:46 PM  
Anonymous nhl jerseys from china said...

For the reason that the lady might have an opportunity to bring wonder to that part associated with mud...Find this celebrity of which secures your lives, the one which once and for all twinkles in your nhl jerseys heart and soul. Take advantage of precious chances while many people even now sparkle before you. Always feel that a person's best authentic nhl jerseys goal can be attainable provided that an individual make oneself in order to it.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home